Smart card ticketing uses modern smart chip cards, alternately to classic ticket media such as paper tickets or magnetic cards.
Smart cards are a particularly secure storage medium for electronic ticket products and cashless credit. They can be processed without contact and at high speed. Making them an ideal medium for public passenger transport, where the prerequisite for a smooth operation is the fast and comfortable handling of large crowds.
Smart card systems enables transport service providers to implement flexible tariffs, reduce cash flows, and provide, as an electronic ticket system, a comprehensive data base for the optimisation of numerous business processes.
Through a wide range of available card types and standards with different characteristics, smart card systems can be comprehensively adapted to the requirements of the individual transport service providers.
- with a smart card system you create the basis for the implementation of further eTicketing concepts like account-based ticketing
- bulky tariff structures can be realised very user-friendly and are always easily adaptable to changed conditions
- the smart card management software is seamlessly incorporated into the back-office system and provides quick and smooth smart card handling
- smard card systems generate valuable operational data, that can be used for business optimisation
- smart card systems reduce the requirement for cash inside the systems and thus the effort for cashier services and the attractivity for potential thievery are reduced as well
- the contactless technology is more durable, less fault-prone and maintenance-intensive than the mechanical components in conventional ticketing systems
- ticketing processes are significantly faster reducing waiting times and benefitting smooth operation
- the usage of the entire ticketing becomes more comfortable and the entry barrier for public transportation is lowered through e. g. easier-to-handle field devices, reduced cash handling, tailored tariffs, trouble-free ticket inspection …
- automated fare calculation becomes feasible, were passengers do not need any tariff knowledge
- the highly forgery-proof medium provides effecient protection against fraud attempts and makes them easily detectable
- comprehensive security features like black list and gapless data encryption